Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Primary colors

In the evenings Caroline works at her table just by my desk, drawing and coloring. Sometimes we play school, so she's learned basic color theory. She likes to draw a color wheel of primary colors and their complements in pizza pie slices, to practice drawing circles and shadows in yellow and purple, red and green, blue and orange.

Then on Saturday we were out for an ice cream/nature walk. We found linden, oak and maple leaves, tried to shake down some green chestnuts and whirled a fist full of maple seeds above our heads. We were down to our cone tips and were turning the corner to head back to the house. The sun came out for a moment, and there, in a row were these cars.

Red, yellow, blue.

Caroline looked for green, orange and purple cars all the way home.

2 comments:

Jess said...

One of my most vivid memories from kindergarten is learning primary colors - my school leaned towards the Waldorf method so I think we spent the whole year painting and drawing only with primaries. I still have a fondness for primary watercolors :)

Julia said...

One of my favorite books when I was a small child, and one that C likes now too is The Color Kittens. Brush and Hush taught me primary colors before I knew what that phrase meant, and they're a great reinforcement now. (If the Color Kittens say so, well then C is inclined to believe it must be true!)